Friday, July 15, 2011

Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies

For awhile now, I've been wondering what else I could possibly do with boxed cake mixes other than use them for their purpose. I came up with one idea that I'm still waiting to try out, and then I ran across a funfetti cookie on Lovin From The Oven's page. As much as I'd rather have a funfetti cookie, I didn't have any funfetti mix so I opted to replace it with red velvet. When baking cookies, I usually lay down parchment paper on my baking sheet. Since I haven't baked any cookies in a long time, I don't have any parchment paper. The cookies would've been more poofy if I would've had some! Also, you don't have to sift your dry ingredients - I just prefer to do so. But, here it goes :)


Ingredients:

* 3/4 cup flour, sifted
* 1 1/4 cup red velvet mix, sifted
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, sifted
* 3/4 cup softened butter
* 1 egg
* 1 egg yolk
* 2 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1 cup chocolate chips
















Directions:

1. Cream together the butter and sugars. Mix in the egg yolk, egg, and vanilla until creamy.



















2. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and cake mix.















when sifted and whisked together:




3. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Beat on slow.



4. Stir in chocolate chips. Refrigerate for atleast an hour.


5. Scoop dough onto greased cookie sheet (if not using parchment paper) and bake for 12-15 minutes.

Just out of the oven






Critique: If you want to really taste the red velvet in the cookie, don't add the chocolate chips! When I get a bite with chocolate chips in it-it just tastes like a chocolate chip cookie. But when you take a bite of just the dough part, it definitley does taste like red velvet! Not too bad for turning a box mix into a cookie!!


*Adapted from Lovin' From The Oven

No comments:

Post a Comment