Thursday, July 14, 2011

Focaccia Bread

When my husband and I went to Hawaii a couple of weeks ago, we stopped by the Aloha Stadium for the Swap Meet. We were so hungry and didn't really know what to expect or if there would even be any food there. After about a half hour of walking around, we came up to a booth with a man selling sandwiches. Keep in mind, my husband and I are super picky eaters. We decided we would get one and split it, just incase we didn't like it. It was focaccia bread with different sausages, pepperoni, and five different cheeses inside. It smelled absolutley amazing. After one bite I told Chris I just couldn't share it and had to have my own. Apparently he was thinking the same thing because he didn't want to share either! Last night I decided to try out a foacaccia bread recipe before I tried to make this sandwich! The bread actually turned out a lot better than I thought it would. I'm not a great cook so this bread turning out made my day!

Ingredients:
* 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon white sugar
* 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 pinch ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 cup water
* 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
* 1 cup mozzarella















Directions:
1. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt, sugar, yeast, garlic powder, oregano and black pepper. Mix in the vegetable oil and water.



















2. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.















3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Form dough to fit in a pan. You can brush the top with olive oil, but I opted for vegetable oil since we didn't have any olive oil. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.   Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.


            
      











Out of the oven!

















*adapted from allrecipes.com, Focaccia Bread by: Terri McCarrell

No comments:

Post a Comment